Thursday, April 15, 2010

Success!

So I have spent the last week and a half trying to create my own patterns for kids coats for 1812. I had adult patterns, and a coat that fits Parker. I traced Parker's coat to make a small pattern, and scaled down my smallest adult pattern to make an XL. From there, I had to create medium and large patterns. I have to fit kids from grades 4 thru 8. Today I sewed mock ups of each pattern size. I was so pleased to see that they all went together on the first try, with only one minor adjustment on the smallest size. The collar was too long, but a small adjustment at the back, cleared that right up. I think I am getting the hang of this whole pattern altering and creation (scaling?). It gives me confidence for a project I hope to tackle later toward the end of summer. I found an 1812 dress I want to make in a book. The pattern is shown on a grid, and now I think I might actually be able to bring it to full size. Then I just have to make it my size. I have learned so much about sewing, that I think I might actually one day figure out how to make my own patterns from scratch. Wouldn't that be something.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you're doing really well!

Daisy Patch said...

You are amazing "M"! I am sure that you will one day be able to make the patterns yourself!
I've always wanted a period Costume.The Victorian era is my favorite.

Keep it up!